Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Perfect Day With a Heat Transplant/A Perfect Day Without A Heart Transplant

I got this idea from the excellent blogger extraordinaire Josh at his blog "Welcome to Joshland" (http://www.welcometojoshland.com/2010/08/my-perfect-day-stolen-post-idea-from.html) you have to check him out, his is an all around cool guy and has funny blogs, medical videos, etc. and is an inspiration for people with life threatening illnesses. He has struggled with Cystic Fibrosis and Cerebral Palsy all his life. I am jealous of the CF community because they have such a great community, the heart/transplant community is just starting to build up, but is not nearly what the CF community is. One of the things I would like to work on is to make my community as great as their, to provide support to my fellow patients. Josh also inspired me because my best friend's brother also has Cerebral Palsy and has had major struggles his whole life, so he has taught me a lot more about it. Anyways on to my post:
A Perfect Day With A Heart Transplant:
My perfect day is actually a day spent at the doctors office. I know that sounds so weird, who wants to be at the doctors, right? But, it is a whole day that me and my mom spend alone, together, we talk together for about an hour there, have lunch together-talk, talk in between appointment, and then talk in the car ride home. We treat each other that day, the hospital is in a fun place, Santana Row, so we go shopping and go out to a great lunch and just get to spend quality time together and indulge. It makes actually being at the doctor, and the pain (like if I have to have a heart cath) so much easier. At the end of the day I don't want to leave my mom.

I honestly don't know where my life would be if I did not have my heart problem. I think I might have gone to art college for Jewelry or fashion, I either wanted to design purses or wedding dresses. I know the whole fashion thing sounds weird since I am not all that fashionable of a person, but I love to dress other people, not myself, and I love purses. And I know that it sounds weird to want to design wedding dresses if you are not crazy about weddings, but it was actually for specific people.
But since I have my illness, I have really gotten interest in medicine. I think that if I had the stamina to get through medical school (to get through the long hours and then residency) I would do that. I would love to go now, but I know if that is really a possibility. I am somewhat glad I have my illness because it sort of awoke me in life. I went from a really fake life, not really doing anything to help society, (I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this) but what does a hair dresser really do to help people, it is a really fake job, you constantly have to tell people they look amazing-even when they don't. I feel like when I become a nurse I will be able to help my fellow transplant patients, like really help them. I have a lot of patience and compassion for people, which some people in the medical field do not have and that makes being in the hospital a lot harder.
Okay, so know that I have actually written this post I realize this is not at all how I meant for it to turn out. Part of it was about a great day with a transplant, and part of it is how my life would have turned out without an illness. What can I say, my mind still goes in a million ways, hahah.

1 comment:

  1. You are too sweet, Allie. Thank you for your kind words!

    I told you: Small steps make amazing people. Keep taking those steps, distant friend. The Cf Community is behind you!

    Peaceful Things. :-)

    ReplyDelete